A beautiful and grand old property dating back to 1749. It was the original ‘town house’ being located in the main village square adjacent to the Maison de Ville and Eglise de Montriond. It had been in the same French family for at least six generations. Even at first sight we thought it was beautiful” recounts the owner… “it was obviously a traditional Savoie property but also had some fascinating Italianate features. But it lay almost derelict, with just the faintest whisper that it once was, and could again, be something truly special”.
What they have created really is just that; special and unique. An exceptional town house in the mountains, a home quite like no other. La Maison manages to seamlessly blend all that is good about a traditional ski chalet with the magical design inspiration of a grand residence from a bygone era. Luxurious but incredibly tasteful throughout, there are six spacious en suite bedrooms, an impressive spa and the most incredible living space set out on the top floor under the beauty of the exposed timber structure.
“Our vision seemed simple. On the outside we wanted to lovingly restore the exterior of this 18th century building and breathe life back into the village square. Inside we wanted to create the most sumptuous mountain home, which both skiers and non-skiers could enjoy equally.”
The restoration project began in the summer of 2017. The external facade was restored to be in harmony with its 18 century roots. The property had originally been designed by an Italian architect during the reign of Louis XV. A key point of inspiration was the juliet balcony which was lovingly restored and replaced in situ framing a truly relaxing and opulent French boudoir that now connects two of the bedrooms. The original timbers were retained wherever possible with local artisans seamlessly incorporating them to the new structure.
“Inside, there a huge volume of space to use, a blank canvas, which was incredibly exciting. Being fortunate to have stayed in some amazing chalets and hotels around the world we felt we understood what it would take to deliver the ultimate Alpine retreat. The aspiration was to deliver the most comfortable, luxury living experience including a spa, pool, fitness studio, a professional open plan kitchen, sumptuous dining area, relaxing lounges and a cinema snug. The bedrooms needed to be cosy but with excellent modern en-suite facilities. We wanted all the rooms and spaces to flow from a central space which had the grandeur of the world’s most luxurious hotels.”
To achieve this there is a feature staircase at the heart of the building which was hewn from 370 million year old sedimentary Caithness stone from the Northern Highlands of Scotland.
“Being Scottish we were keen to blend the historical association between France and Scotland, but were also keen to avoid the stereotypes of tartan, Savoyard skins and red hearts.”
The Scottish connection also extends to the unique furniture commissioned from Scottish design houses and bespoke soft furnishing fabrics supplied from Glasgow-based Timorous Beasties. The result, the most opulent, comfortable, warm and welcoming atmosphere in a completely unique setting. Welcome, to La Maison.
- Super king-size double/twin bedroom with en-suite shower room with twin basins and walk-in wardrobe.
- Super king-size double/twin bedroom with en-suite shower room with twin basins.
- Super king-size double/twin bedroom with freestanding bath, en-suite shower room and shared balcony access.
- Super king-size double/twin bedroom with freestanding bath and en-suite shower room.
- King-size double/twin bedroom with en-suite shower room with twin basins and walk-in wardrobe.
- King-size double/twin bedroom with en-suite shower room with twin basins.
- Chalet Manager
- Hosts x 2
- Driver service
- Massage Treatment Room
- Yoga/Pilates Studio
- Open Fireplace
- Balcony & Terrace Areas
- TV Snug Room
- Wine Cellar
- Pool/Billiards Table
- Grand Piano
- Library Area
- Ski Boot Room with Heated Boot Warmers
- Outdoor Hot Tub & Barrel Sauna on Large Terrace
- Wireless Internet (Wi-Fi)
- Exclusive use of the chalet and its facilities
- Seven nights' luxury accommodation
- Dedicated service from the chalet staff
- Champagne reception
- Daily breakfast and afternoon tea
- Pre-dinner canapés
- Dinner on five nights
- Children's supper if required six nights
- An open bar premium spirits, beer and wine, soft drinks
- Artisan beers from local micro-breweries
- Belstar Prosecco served throughout the week on-demand
- Carefully selected house wines
- Boot room snacks and refreshments
- Pre-arrival menu consultation
- Daily housekeeping
- Chauffeured service 8.00am to 10.30pm
- Use of Wireless Internet (Wifi)
- All flights excluded, although you can book through our preferred partners Swiss International
- Airport Transfers
- Helicopter transfers
- Ski lessons, book here with White Blancmange
- Ski rental & lift passes
- Security service
- Spa treatments
- Party planning
- Pre-arrival shopping service
- Items not specifically mentioned
- Security deposit may be required
- Prices to be confirmed at time of booking
- Prices will be based on full occupancy
- This property can be rented summer from €21,900
- Morning bakery delivery can be arranged at extra cost
What we think at White Blancmange
Only the best
At White Blancmange we only hand select properties that we would stay in ourselves with family and friends. If we do not like it simply we do not sell it! Because we are not the Principle owner of any property, we can offer you an honest impartial review
Gerry Lovick - Co Founder of White Blancmange