Comprising La Maison and the adjoining Owner’s Residence, Grande Maison is perfect for larger groups looking for a luxury alpine stay with no compromises.
“It had to be special. It had to be unique.” That was the sentiment of the owners of La Maison de Montriond having ruled out countless opportunities across Europe and North America before deciding to create this exceptional mountain home.
“In Montriond, the owners finally found what we had been searching for; a beautiful and grand old property dating back to 1749. It was the original ‘town house’ being located in the main village square adjacent to the Maison de Ville and Eglise de Montriond. It had been in the same French family for at least six generations. Even at first sight they thought it was beautiful” recounts the owner… “it was obviously a traditional Savoie property but also had some fascinating Italianate features. But it lay almost derelict, with just the faintest whisper that it once was, and could again, be something truly special”.
What they have created really is just that; special and unique. An exceptional town house in the mountains, a home quite like no other. La Maison manages to seamlessly blend all that is good about a traditional ski chalet with the magical design inspiration of a grand residence from a bygone era. Luxurious but incredibly tasteful throughout, there are six spacious en suite bedrooms, an impressive spa and the most incredible living space set out on the top floor under the beauty of the exposed timber structure.
Local professionals and artisans were used to ensure the history of the building wasn’t lost. The project was led by locally-renowned architect Herve Marullaz of Marullaz Architects in collaboration with Kyles Garrett of Shep & Kyles Design.
The restoration project began in the summer of 2017. The external facade was restored to be in harmony with its 18 century roots. The property had originally been designed by an Italian architect during the reign of Louis XV. A key point of inspiration was the juliet balcony which was lovingly restored and replaced in situ framing a truly relaxing and opulent French boudoir that now connects two of the bedrooms. The original timbers were retained wherever possible with local artisans seamlessly incorporating them to the new structure.
To achieve this there is a feature staircase at the heart of the building which was hewn from 370 million year old sedimentary Caithness stone from the Northern Highlands of Scotland.
The Scottish connection also extends to the unique furniture commissioned from Scottish design houses and bespoke soft furnishing fabrics supplied from Glasgow-based Timorous Beasties. The result, the most opulent, comfortable, warm and welcoming atmosphere in a completely unique setting.
The top floor of La Maison is a vast open-plan space the sheer size of which immediately takes your breath away. The space is split into three distinct zones — the main salon area, the library and the bar area. The salon features a large chandelier by Brand van Egmond and bespoke luxury sofas from William Yeoward which are orientated to take in the beautiful views of the Nantaux peak. Beyond the salon the library offers a level of privacy from the main space, with several comfortable armchairs and a swing set by the first of two fireplaces. On the opposite side you will find the bar area laid out in a lounge style around the second fireplace. A full sized pool table provides a point of entertainment and another balcony provides a great vantage point to relax and take in the views over the village square.
At the centre of the building lies an amazing private spa the showpiece of which is the L shaped swimming pool. As well as a counter current jet, the pool has various massage zones and two large fountains. There is both an indoor and outdoor hot tub as well as a large steam room tiled in mosaics. Lounge seating, a rain shower and fibre optic “night sky” lighting complete the space. From the spa a corridor leads to the raised studio, ideal for pilates and yoga – where there is also a massage room from which to enjoy our range of Bamford treatments.
Grande Maison is located right in the middle of the village square in Montriond which is part of the Morzine ski resort. The village itself has a handful of shops as well as two bars and a restaurant. It is a short drive into the main centre of Morzine where you will find a vast array of shopping and restaurant options. Skiing is most easily accessed by the Ardent lift which is just a 10-minute drive away and grants access straight into the heart of the Portes du Soleil ski area. On route you will also pass the breathtaking Lac de Montriond where you can ice dive in the winter, or bathe come summer.
- La Maison;
- Bedroom 1 – Super king/twin beds, en-suite shower room with twin basins and walk-in wardrobe
- Bedroom 2 – Super king/twin beds, en-suite shower room with twin basins
- Bedroom 3 — King size bed, en-suite shower room with twin basins
- Bedroom 4 — King size bed, en-suite shower room with twin basins and walk in
- Bedroom 5 — Super king/twin beds with freestanding bath and en suite shower room
- Bedroom 6 — Super king/twin beds with freestanding bath and en suite shower room
- Owner's residence;
- Bunk room (B) — Sleeps 4, separate shower room
- Bedroom 1 — Super king/twin beds with en-suite shower room
- Bedroom 2 — Super king/twin beds with en-suite shower room
- Chalet Manager
- Hosts x 2
- Driver service
- Massage Treatment Room
- Yoga/Pilates Studio
- Open Fireplace
- Balcony & Terrace Areas
- TV Snug Room
- Wine Cellar
- Pool/Billiards Table
- Grand Piano
- Library Area
- Ski Boot Room with Heated Boot Warmers
- Outdoor Hot Tub & Barrel Sauna on Large Terrace
- Wireless Internet (Wi-Fi)
- Exclusive use of the chalet and its facilities
- Seven nights' luxury accommodation
- Dedicated service from the chalet staff
- Champagne reception
- Daily breakfast and afternoon tea
- Pre-dinner canapés
- Dinner on five nights
- Children's supper if required six nights
- An open bar premium spirits, beer and wine, soft drinks
- Artisan beers from local micro-breweries
- Belstar Prosecco served throughout the week on-demand
- Carefully selected house wines
- Boot room snacks and refreshments
- Pre-arrival menu consultation
- Daily housekeeping
- Chauffeured service 8.00am to 10.30pm
- Use of Wireless Internet (Wifi)
- All flights excluded, although you can book through our preferred partners Swiss International
- Airport Transfers
- Helicopter transfers
- Ski lessons, book here with White Blancmange
- Ski rental & lift passes
- Security service
- Spa treatments
- Party planning
- Pre-arrival shopping service
- Items not specifically mentioned
- Security deposit may be required
- Prices to be confirmed at time of booking
- Prices will be based on full occupancy
- This property can be rented summer from €21,900
- Morning bakery delivery can be arranged at extra cost
What we think at White Blancmange
Only the best
At White Blancmange we only hand select properties that we would stay in ourselves with family and friends. If we do not like it simply we do not sell it! Because we are not the Principle owner of any property, we can offer you an honest impartial review
Gerry Lovick - Co Founder of White Blancmange